Tuesday 8 October 2013

A Shopaholic's Challenge: Non-Consumerism


The escalator hums, groups of girls that I like to call "Peaches" (as in, Peaches Geldof at the height of her teeny-bopping, wild child, London party days) are hanging out in every possible corner. Fashionistas browse the rails, looking for well priced (but poorly tailored) synthetic items in this autumn's shades of pale pink, burgundy, camel, and cobalt blue. Fumes from newly decorated talons at Nails Inc drift past and mingle with the sweet scent of Lola's cream cheese-frosted red velvet cupcakes. Three levels of shoes, trousers, dresses, skirts, jumpers, hats, scarves, bags, jewellery ... and everything in between. More apparel than anyone could need in their lifetime. Enough to clothe a small country perhaps... and perhaps clothe it for several years.  
This is shopping heaven ... and consumerism hell.


I recently completed a 30-day challenge wherein I was not allowed to purchase anything "unnecessary" in those 30 days. Unless it was an item which I regularly used (and had actually run out of), or something essential (food, transport, etc), no purchases could be made. Initially this was difficult (on day six, one of my favourite designers launched an amazingly well-priced collaboration collection with one of my favourite high street stores) and there were lots of discussions about whether something that I regularly purchased (William Curly chocolates) were indeed necessary (deemed so on only one particularly stressful and exhausting day). But once I got into the hang of it, it was actually pretty easy.


We live in a society that values quantity over quality; success is equated with size of salaries, size of house, and quantity of obtained goods. I recently read that we see the amount of media messages in one week, that a person from the 19th century would see in their entire life, so it is no wonder that we constantly feel the need to have something new, something better, something more. Our favourite fictional (m)ad man said it best...
“I can’t decide … if you have everything … or nothing.”


But take yourself out of this treadmill of advertising/shopping/advertising/shopping and life looks a little bit different ...

Mass consumerism contributes to excess waste, to the stress of keeping up with the constantly changing status symbols, and sometimes, even, discontent in life. When was the last time you said to yourself "if only I had X, then a) I'd be stylish b) my life would be simpler c) I'd be more productive ... or d) my life would finally be perfect."

Ummmmm, newsflash: consumer goods do not solve these problems. By taking a step back, removing yourself from the cycle created to increase customer discontent and in turn, corporate coffers, you can realise what is really valuable, useful and necessary. Does anyone really need this many socks?


This challenge made me think long and hard about what I was buying, and stress purchases and impulse purchases were questioned. Every purchase was weighed - is this a want or a need? And guess what I found out ... most were wants, not actual needs. At the end of the month, I had a small but very well-thought-out list of items that after 30 days of contemplation, were indeed deemed beneficial or useful (and after having thought about them, I knew that would put them to good use, rather than shoving them to the back of my closet and questioning my own judgement 6 months later, realising that the tags are still on). I had extra time (no longer browsing the online collections of my favourite stores, lamenting the masses of items that I couldn't and shouldn't buy), and a bigger bank account ... and you know what else? A sense of satisfaction, that I can always be (for a short time at least) free of the consumer cycle when I choose to be.

GG Rating - good for Spelt Supporters: a little discipline = big satisfaction

No comments:

Post a Comment